Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In Her Memory...


Today, I actually felt that completing the 365 days was not a success... I realized that after day 365, I have lost my sense of discipline, motive, and strength to do better at this thing called "life"...
And... as I sat here trying to figure out what is most important to me at this moment and where I am right now, I eyed my grandmother's gold watch in my bag. I've had it for a couple of days now... I've had it ever since I was with her at the Emergency room the other day trying to convince her that I'd keep it safe for her. Well, I did convince her I'd keep it safe but, now, she asks about it every 15 minutes...
As we sat there in the ER, she would get tired of waiting, then, look around for the clock in the room, stare at it and say, "What time is it? How long have we been here? We've been here for five hours! Where is the doctor? Where are my clothes? Let's go home, please..." Then, she would look down at her wrist to try to figure out the time and, then, she'd say, "Where is my watch? Did I give it to your mom? What did I do with my watch?" I'd answer, "No, grandma... it's with me... Don't worry, I have it..."
The watch does have a history... My grandfather bought it for her when they were engaged and she has worn it ever since. It's the one thing she doesn't forget and, recently, it stopped working... She spent her days calling her children and asking about the hands on the watch that were not moving anymore. After days of trying to convince and remind her that it was an old watch and it would take days to fix, my uncle decided to switch the gold wristband with another watch that was working. Now, she wonders about a watch that doesn't exist anymore. Now, the watch she knows is only in her memory... but, she looks down at this one and as long as the hands are moving, in her world... in her memory... it's all okay.
Now, I don't know what's more important... the fact that she has the memory of that watch or that she doesn't even recognize it anymore...

Tip of the Post: Sometimes, ask yourself, "What is more important?"

No comments:

Post a Comment