Sunday, March 6, 2011

Unconditionally...


Irritation... that's the only word I can use to describe life these days. I might be suffering from a little bit of short temperosis but... irritation is the only word that comes to mind...
The good news is that my grandma's out of the hospital... The irritating news is that she was at our house for a few days... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind her around most of the time... until... she starts asking questions. The other night, she asked the same question so many times that we decided to make a recording answering all of her questions at once. To our surprise, it worked. She'd listen to it every time we'd play it and nod her head like we had answered her question. "Where is your mom and when is she coming home?... Where is Iren going?... Where is my medicine?... and... Where are my house keys?" Those were the questions she'd ask every 3 and a 1/2 minutes and we had recorded: "Grandma, mom is at work and she won't be home until later. Iren is going to a wedding and she'll be home late. Your keys and medicine is with mom. She'll bring it with her when she gets home later." So, as we played this recording for her each time, she'd wait for the answer to her specific question, nod and say "Okay..." As she did that over and over again, she walked around the house looking confused and lost and as she heard the recording for the 25th time, she came into my room as I was getting ready and asked, "Who's wedding did your mom go to?" as I told myself to be patient...
Patience or not, Alzheimer's or not, irritation or not, today is my mom's birthday! My grandma doesn't remember her birthday. She doesn't remember giving birth to her only daughter on this day so, today, I'd like to make a recording saying, "Grandma, I'd like to thank you for giving birth on this day, a few decades ago, to a very special person. I wish you were able to remember these certain moments that brought you happiness... I wish you would remember her birthday one year... and... I wish you knew how much she loves and cares about you... unconditionally..."
Today is also international women's day! Being the type of person that doesn't enjoy bridal showers, baby showers, and thinks it's wrong to put too many women in the same room, I can't imagine my life without the most important women in my life... Happy Women's Day!
Happy Birthday to you momma! I'd like to thank you for being the special person that you are. I hope you try to remember all of these things that make you happy... I'd like you to know that you are loved and cared for... unconditionally...


No comments:

Post a Comment