Monday, February 7, 2011

The Lucky Ones...



As I've mentioned before, my car's coolant gives me problems from time to time... This weekend, Armen and I took a trip to Palm Springs for a friend's birthday. I hadn't mentioned that my car had given me problems the day before so we decided to take my car for the 2 hour ride. Well, let's just say that the 2 hour ride turned out to be a 5 hour ride...
The coolant light came on while we were halfway there... Armen had fallen asleep so I decided to ignore the warning. A few minutes later, the car began to overheat so, as you can imagine, I decided to wake him up and let him know. We exited the freeway, found a gas station nearby, and let it cool down for a while. Well, because I had ignored the previous warnings, the coolant tank had blown out and the coolant was, now, pouring out of the tank, instead of the minor leaks it used to have...
While waiting for the car to cool down in the gas station, I found a lucky penny in the puddle of coolant on the floor, picked it up, and cleaned it off...
Armen, knowing his way around mechanics, decided to find an Auto Zone and fix the leak, or shall I say "pour..." Ten minutes later, we were at an Auto Zone looking for some patching supplies. I waited as Armen patched the tank up with clay-like putty... Then, he asked, "Where is that lucky penny you found?" I handed him the penny, looking confused, and watched him unscrew the tank with the penny. We pulled out of the freeway 3 more times to patch and refill the coolant before we got to our destination... and throughout the stops and rides, the lucky penny was a huge asset.
Well, we finally got there, but we still had to get back, somehow...
Coming back, the job got harder as Armen tied some pipes together and got his clothes dirtier than the previous day. To our surprise, the car held up and we were home sooner than we thought... and, throughout the whole experience, we kept our patience and thought of ourselves as the lucky ones...

No comments:

Post a Comment