Friday, June 10, 2011

Nudes Are People Too: Works by Rick Rotante

Tonight is the opening reception for Nudes Are People Too featuring works by Rick Rotante, a local artist. The only way I can describe Rick's work is by using his own words: " I paint how I feel about a subject, not what I see, preferring to find an expression of the subject. I try and mingle Old World techniques and coloring with subtler contemporary color to bridge the generations and pay homage to the masters."
The first time I saw Rick's work was at his studio. I had to go over to his studio because he would not be able to transport all of his work to the gallery. As I stepped into his space, there was so many pieces around the room... I had no idea where to start. I had to look through it and choose the ones for the show and as I began to look through a small pile, I realized that this was his world... his life... This was what his life revolved around... it was what he was made of... and I had simply just walked into it... that easily...
So, since his words and his work speaks for itself, I'd like to say that Rick is truly an artist... art is his life and his life is art... You just have to see it to understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment