Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 163: Teenager

Marilyn Monroe as a teenager...
My 16 year-old cousin is on the phone, and... it is past midnight... I just realized that I have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager...
I used to have a "cordless" phone in my room, right above my bed, at her age... It was one of those transparent ones that came in different colors. I had a blue one... and, at nights, I'd hide it under my covers, put the ringer on mute, and try to hide the flashing lights on it when it rang... and, when I'd put it on my ear, trying to whisper so that I wouldn't wake anyone up, I'd hope no one else would pick up the other phone in the house and hear my conversation. During the conversation, if I'd hear a clicking noise, I'd press the "flash" button to make sure no one was listening in...
I remember when something would go wrong, or I'd get caught doing something, I'd think to myself, "Haven't they been through these things? Doesn't she know what I'm capable of at this age?"
Now, I realize that... we forget...
I haven't even had kids yet, and, I've forgotten. By the time I have kids, and, they become teenagers, I'm going to have to give myself a dose of sleep medicine to keep from being an annoying mom. I'm going to have to recollect all my teenage memories and save them for later, for when they'll come in handy.

Tip of the Day: If you deal with a teenager, and, you're not one yourself, try to remember what you did and were capable of in those years, and, try to understand. If you don't deal with one, you will someday, and... if you are a teenager, these are some of the best years of your life, so, don't think about getting older and how good it'll be... If you can get away with anything, it's in your teenage years...


No comments:

Post a Comment