Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 166: Waher or baher?

I've been tryin to speak Spanish today... due to the fact that we're in Mexico...
I'm not bad, actually, but, I can't say I'm fluent...
Today, I tried to communicate with the Mexicans in Mexico... it was interesting, if I may add...
It reminded me of a funny thing that happened the other day... in L.A., ironically...
My uncle's family and my family went to dinner at El Cholo Restaurant in Pasadena... it's a Mexican restaurant that has the only decent guacamole around these days... Our place used to be Acapulco until they started screwing up the quality of their food. So, we all decided to meet up at 7:30p.m. for dinner... we met up, and sat at our table... the waiter came by and took our orders for our drinks... my uncle ordered a couple of pitchers of Margaritas and said to the waiter, "Can we, please, have glass of water for everybody?" and the waiter replied, "Of course, sir..." as he smiled and walked off to bring our water. After about 10 minutes, the waiter brought over a couple of small dishes of sliced butter... we just stared at the butter, (which was such an awkard plate to get at a Mexican restaurant) as my aunt asked, "What we gonna have with the butter?" looking at the waiter curiously. The waiter looked down at the butter and said, "I bring you tortilla!" smiling. As everyone went back to eating tortilla chips, we thought it was a new thing the restaurant was doing... 5 minutes later, the waiter came back with four plates of hot, covered tortillas... and, as Armenians usually do, we started eating the tortillas and butter as we do bread and cheese. Then, after about 10 minutes, and 1 1/2 of the pitchers of margaritas gone, my uncle realized the waiter hadn't brought out the water... so, when the waiter came back, he said, "Man, what happen to the water I ask for?" as he smiled. The waiter replied, "waher!!! I bring you baher!!!"
So, as you can imagine, we laughed at the whole thing for a while before we got our glasses of water... it was a funny situation that wouldn't have happened if we were all speaking the same language.

Tip of the Day: Have some interest in other languages... Just try to communicate with what you know because the only way you will get any better and familiarize yourself is making a fool of yourself at first, and, that's okay when it comes to learning a language.

No comments:

Post a Comment