Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 216: Bullshit

I was accused of being "lazy" with my posts... Just to clear the air, I promise you it's not laziness... I'm just being honest. It is what I think it is... it's hard for me to make things up... it's "bullshit" and, personally, I don't appreciate bullshit.
Being around artists and attending gallery shows, I hear a lot of talk (bullshit)... Sometimes, I wonder about where certain people come up with these weird ideas. Besides the fact of looking weird (physically trying to fit it)... most artists "bullshit" really well. When I see a painting of a wave, I just think of the beach... I don't think of the moment when the tide hits the shore and creates shapes and energy... To me, it is what it is... just take it for what it is. If I paint a beautiful woman, just appreciate her beauty and if you need some kind of a back story to it, make it up for yourself.
Each person, when observing art, has their own interpretation of it, and I think that's what is so special about art... it's universal. When asked about certain pieces, I tell the truth... I either drew it from a live model, photograph, or they're family members. As for the style of drawing, that just happens when I put my pencil to paper... it's not a planned decision and it certainly doesn't have reasons.
When I was attending school, I took a couple of Fine Art classes and, at times, I wanted to slit my wrists because of all the bullshit going on around me... One day, we had to present these sculptures we had carved out... One of my classmates got up in front of class, stood there, and dropped his piece to the ground. Right then, everyone was confused... but, the instructor, being a Fine Artist said, "Oh, that was a performance piece... wow, you shouldv'e mentioned it so that we could have watched you as you did that..." As she began clapping, I was thinking about where I could find something sharp... She made the whole class walk over to the broken sculpture on the floor and analyze each broken piece. That was huge "bullshit" or, atleast, I think it was...
Now, the photo at the top is of a woman... a pretty attractive woman. I'd paint her, without the rose, of course, (because I'm not a fan of cliche and corney) but, I'd paint her because of the interesting colors in her hair, the wallpaper, and her lips. If some of you would like a back story to her portrait, and, if I wanted to "bullshit," I'd say that she's a classy prostitute looking for love, and that her "movie star" look and the angle of the the lens brings a cinematic view to the painting... But, in actuality, I just like her look and she looks like she'd be fun to draw and paint.
I hope I haven't confused you and that this all makes sense by now, and, I apologize if your views are different about art, but, you're more than welcome to give me your input on it.
So, the reason why I get "lazy" sometimes, is because I don't do well with "bullshit"...

Tip of the Day: Understand that everything that was ever written and said was by a certain person with their own thoughts and ideas. Nothing is really what it says it is... it's just someone's point of view on it.

"Develop a bulit-in bullshit detector." Ernest Hemingway (one of the greatest writers of all time - won a Nobel Prize in Literature 1954)

And... these posts, here, are MY thougths and ideas...
We need to explore and educate ourselves with everything around us, but please, "develop a built-in bullshit detector!"

No comments:

Post a Comment