Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 228: Painting Frontenay: Sit Still







I think that 80% of the world's flies are in France... and the rest are flying around the Armenian barbeques happening around the world. But, these French flies are amazingly stubborn. I have been fighting them off the whole day. Each room in the house actually comes with a fly swatter... they're ridiculous, but I have to admit that 95% of the world's ladybugs are here too. They all huddle around each other and you can actually see them walking around in the grass. So, in case you're wondering, France does not have a shortage of flies and ladybugs!
Today, I was on the other side of the canvas. The girls wanted me to model for them for portraiture. I was glad to do it because I, myself, enjoy drawing people, so, I put my makeup on and got ready to sit still. They were 25-30 minute sittings... I just sat there in one position and tried my best not to move a muscle. After about 10 minutes, the feeling in my hands and legs were gone and I couldn't feel the position I was in anymore. After 20 minutes, my brain went numb to the thoughts (except for the thoughts of killing I was having about the flies landing on me). The experience of numbness really came over me as I sat there... doing absolutely NOTHING.
I don't think there is ever a moment in any of our lives when we just sit still and do nothing. We're always trying to be productive, get something done, start something... Doing NOTHING is never an option. Even if we go on vacation, we lay down by the pool, doing nothing, but, we're, actually, working on our tan... which is something.
I feel as though I'm numb to the world right now because I sat there for a couple of hours today doing NOTHING. I feel calm, relaxed, and content. The contentment I feel is almost like when you finally kill a fly that has been buzzing in your ear for hours. It's amazing!

Tip of the Day: Take a seat or lay down somewhere, where there's no one around, and try not to move for a few minutes. Even 10 minutes will do the trick. Just stare into space and think about whatever you want. You'll notice that the thoughts will just come and go, but if you stay there long enough, you'll realize that you have nothing more to think and worry about. Every thought you have will find its place in your mind, somehow, and stay there, atleast for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment