Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 234: Journal Entry... Alone in a Big World




I wrote Day 234 in my journal because there seemed to be some kind of problem getting through to the internet. So, here it is:
When I think back to today and how I can describe any single experience I've had, it's impossible. All I can say is that if you're reading this at work, at home, on your phone, while driving (I hope not...), in the doctor's office, at the mall, or wherever you might be at this moment, the world is so much bigger than you can imagine.
I am sitting here at the corner cafe, across from the Louvre...
I can hear conversations in French, music in Spanish, there's hot tea in my white, porcelain cup as I watch bikers and pedestrians stroll by. I watch as people, (some couples, some friends, some alone, like me), drink their wine at small, round wooden tables with candlelight.
I'm sure almost everybody has experienced being out of the country, in a new culture... I don't mean to point out the obvious, but, sometimes, we tend to forget everything else that exists outside of the little bubbles we create for ourselves.
Besides being introduced to a new culture, today, I stood across from the original masterpieces from some of my favorite artists. Being an art major, I had memorized and read all about these masterpieces and had seen them in textbooks, but to stand across from them was out of the norm... For me, it was, almost, an out of body experience...
I am enjoying my time here in Paris... I feel like I belong here somehow... but not alone...
Last night, I was in my room alone... I had never been alone in a strange hotel room. I lay there wondering how I would fall asleep, without a single familiar soul close enough to say "goodnight" to...
I thought about my lonely thoughts making an exit... and, they did... then, I thought about how lucky I am to be able to experience this in my life, at this time. I thought about how loved I am as I picked up my mini gift box thinking, "I know you think of me... goodnight." Then, I slept...

Tip of the Day: Sometimes, the world can overwhelm you and make you feel lonely, but always remember that there is someone thinking of you...

No comments:

Post a Comment