Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 230: Painting Frontenay: Capricina




I went for a bike ride this morning. I went to buy baguettess... The nearest town is four miles away, so I rode my bike over there... As I rode my bike to the front of the Boulangerie, which is their bakery, a little girl, about 3 years old, came outside and greeted people as they walked in. She began to play with the little puppies and speak to the customers. I bought the baguettes and set them down as I sat on the curb and watched her. Not knowing a word of French, and her not knowing a word of English, I gestured to her to come sit next to me. She did as she smiled and laughed. I had no idea how to communicate with her so I smiled and held my hand up to her for a "High Five" and as she slapped my hand, I realized that a "High Five" is international and so is a smile. There was no need to know the language with a child. All she wanted was to laugh and play anyway. As I got up to leave, I waved goodbye to her and her mother told her to go on inside. She replied to her mother and the mother translated for me and said, "She wants to see you go..." So, I smiled and got on my bike as I rode away, she waved goodbye. Her name was Capricina.
Tip of the Day: Sometimes, when you feel like you're in a world where no one understands you, find a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment