Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 218: Invisible Generosity

I don't really have anything in mind today... but, I'm not going to make up some kind of title like "silence," "privacy," or "don't think" because there's something more I can do... but, tonight, I'm not going to talk about myself at all. Honestly, I'm kind of tired of writing about myself... and I need a bit of privacy, lately, due to the extracurricular situations going on in my life at the moment.
I'm going to try to explain how we, as human beings, can go wrong sometimes... Nothing we do is right... even if we think it's right, someone else thinks differently. Nothing we ever accomplish is enough compared to someone that has accomplished more. Nothing we ever say is the right thing to say because someone would've said it better. Everything we try to do is never enough and... anything we do for other people to please them is never enough because they grow to expect things from you.
I remember learning that someone who does too much is never recognized. The ones who don't do things for others, often, are the ones that get noticed when they do something just once.
It's a normal human reaction... Think about it, if the mailman knocked on your door every morning, for years, and handed you your mail, you'd be surprised if he ever decided to drop it in the mailbox. After a while, you'd expect him to bring it to the front door, even though he brought it to your door just because he was a generous man.
We expect generosity and kindness from everyone around us, and, most importantly respect... I would guess that most people expect it, but don't give it out themselves.
The fact that you would expect the mailman to bring your mail to the door is not because you're a selfish and disrespectful person, but that by being generous, everyday, the mailman conditioned you to expect his generosity. By being generous EVERYDAY, his generosity became invisible.
Today's post sounds a bit pessimistic in pointing out all the negative thoughts we tend to have... but, I believe that living our lives trying to understand all the different aspects of our tendencies is crucial to our happiness. Not noticing and understanding our negative tendencies will only cause us to be pessimistic towards these situations when they arise in our lives.

Tip of the Day: Being generous and doing things for others is how we go about in life helping each other be better, but, try to balance out your generosity throughout the week so you don't become invisible.


No comments:

Post a Comment