Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 231: Painting Frontenay: Thanks Momma...

A couple of days before I left for this trip, my mom asked nervously, "Can I come with you? How about if I come with you? Can I come... with... you...?" as she tried to do her sad puppy eyes. I didn't even have to answer her question. I just stared back at her looking confused as I made the "I know you didn't just ask that question" look. So, she figured it out and just walked away.
Being here, with these women, that ARE growing on me, I think it would've have been OKAY if she was here with me. It feels like I have 10 moms here, so I'm sure mine wouldn't have made a difference.
The more time I spend with these women, the more I think about each individual and their personalities. I wonder more about my life and where I'll be in 30 years...
Some of these women didn't even start painting until after having children... Some of them had a couple of husbands... Some of them have as many as 4 kids, and... some have been to France many times in their lives.
They wake up early every morning, grab their paint and canvas, and go out to catch the right light. I mean, think about it, I think that kind of dedication is amazing. Being around them, everyday, watching them work on their art as though it is a daily duty has made me realize that, for many, this is a serious business. Their willingness to paint, share, and learn gives me a sense of discipline that I might have been missing. It feels like a "wake up call" to me telling me that if I start early enough, I'll make it to wherever I'd like to be. It tells me that if I don't take the time I have, now, for granted, I'll make it. It tells me that if I'm a bit harder on myself about this art business, I'll make it. I'll make it if I try harder, learn more, and share more...
So, mom, I thank you for teaching me to be open to everything around me and to try to learn from everything. I think that your job here is done... you've done good... Thanks momma...

Tip of the Day: Learn from every single experience in your life. There's always something new to learn if you pay enough attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment