Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 232: Painting Frontenay: Tu Est Belle

I have to say that European men do live up to their reputation... They are exactly what they are stereotyped to be. No... I haven't been out much. Actually, Frontenay has a shortage of men, (except for the farmer across the street) but I met a European man yesterday and he was exactly what I had imagined a European man to be like. His name is Camille and he's 8 1/2 years old. He's actually a "little man," but I already have another Little man in my life, so he was my "just as I imagined, Eurpean man" (in 20 years, of course).
We had a family visit for dinner, last night, and Camille was their little boy. After being here for half an hour, he wrote me a note and brought it to me and said, "Pogh toi..." (meaning "for you" in French) I smiled and took the piece of paper from him as I said, "Ah, merci Camille..." On the paper it read: Tu est belle, which means "You are beautiful."
So, now my dreams of meeting the most perfect European man have come true. I don't have to wonder about how I'd feel anymore if a random man walked up to me and said that to me.
Having written about outer beauty before, I have expressed my thoughts on it, but, this morning, I heard a very interesting novel story written by a French writer. The book is called "I am the Most Beautiful Man on Earth" written by Cyril Massarotto. One of the girls here is reading it, in French, and she translated the story to me: It's about a man who is supposed to be the most beautiful man on Earth. He goes through the beginning of his life getting too much attention, with people following him, admiring him, adoring him, etc. He decides that he doesn't want that life, so he finds a witch doctor and asks her to give him a potion that will turn him into the most normal man on Earth. So, she does, and he wakes up being the most normal man on Earth. Being normal, he realizes that he, actually, has to be smart, funny, and try to get people's attention while he goes through certain obstacles in life, like being homeless. While he's normal, he meets a girl that he falls in love with, but she doesn't take notice of him because she is in love with the most beautiful man on Earth. So, being in love with a woman that's in love with the man he used to be, he goes back to the witch doctor and asks for a potion that will make him the man that she loves. That being his last wish, the witch doctor accepts, and he wakes up being the man that she loves. He wakes up the same normal looking guy, but, now, she loves him. He realizes that being beautiful or normal was not what was making him happy. He realizes that having someone love him makes him happy...
The feeling of being beautiful to the outside world might make us feel good for a moment, but the important thing is to have someone love you for who you really are, beautiful or normal...
Camille gave me something that I will keep forever... but Armen gives me something that will keep me happy forever.
Tip of the Day: Don't think too much about what people are perceived to be by their looks. Pay attention to what matters most in your life and what makes you happy.
"Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment