Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 307: Please, Do Me a Favor?


Considering how many loads of laundry gets done in this house, I can still hear the spinning dryer... but, tonight, the rain is louder than the spinning dryer... Tonight, the noise around me is more calming than anything...
My mom asked me for a favor today... We had just finished having breakfast, and she said to me, "Can I ask you for a favor today? Just one little favor? Please?..." I looked at her wondering what it could possibly be and said, "What is it?" and she answered, "I just want a couple of hours of your time... I want to go somewhere but I want you to come with me, please?" At that time, I didn't think much of it... I just got ready to leave with her and never really answered her question.
As we were getting ready to leave the house, she came into my room looking for jewelry to match with her outfit. She looked over at my hand and noticed that I was wearing her ring. I had borrowed it from her a while ago because I liked the turquoise stone on it and had the matching earrings. She smiled and said, "Who would've thought that my little girl would grow up and like to wear my engagement ring? You know, that ring was supposed to have small diamonds all around it, but the guy who we ordered it from didn't make it that way." She laughed at her own words and walked out of the room...
She put on some earrings and tried hard to keep from looking like a gypsy, and I put her old jewelry on as I thought about how valuable that ring must feel to her now that I was wearing it after all these years.
Now, I realize that... this morning, my mom asked me for a favor... she asked me to spend time with her. Time is all that I have with her... That time is more valuable to me than any diamond on any ring... So, I'd like to ask you a favor mom, "Can you please spend more time with me? I enjoy your company, even if I don't act that way sometimes... If you have spare time, call me and ask me for a favor, any favor... Don't think you'll be bothering me... If I yell at you or tell you I'm busy, just tell me you need a favor... but, please do me a favor and be around me more often. Ok? That would be great... thanks!"

Tip of the Day: The most valuable things in life are priceless...

No comments:

Post a Comment