Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 303: Hyphen (-)

I was on the phone today and while jotting an email down, the lady at the other end said, "hypen" and I thought, "uhhh, shit..." but I said, "Ok... at?" So, she continued and I kept my cool and thought, "It's ok, I'll google it!"
I always make fun of Armen because he uses google for, literally, almost every word he tries to spell...
Well, after I googled it, I realized I didn't know what it meant because I was confusing it with a "dash" but, as Wikipedia explains it, a "dash" is longer and is used for a different purpose. So, I don't know if I should feel stupid or not, but, honestly, I didn't know what an "underscore" was until I got an email address with Yahoo. I don't feel too bad about these things because I know I can put sentences together... I just won't be able to teach a grammar class any day soon. It's ironic, but I am usually the one correcting people on Facebook or proofreading my sister's essays. I think that it's okay that I didn't know what "hypen" was... Now, I do...

Tip of the Day: Don't feel too bad if you don't know something... These days, we're very lucky that we can just GOOGLE it!

The hyphen ( ) is a punctuation mark used to join words and to separate syllables of a single word. It should not be confused with dashes ( , , ), which are longer and have different uses, and with the minus sign ( − ) which is also longer. The use of hyphens is called hyphenation. In environments that are restricted to ISO 646 the hyphen-minus is used as a replacement. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

No comments:

Post a Comment