Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 23: No Sidewalks...





















I walked to the gallery today. I thought I'd have a "save the earth" day. Actually, I didn't have a car, so I had to walk, but it was a nice walk, I think. The only thing that sucked was wearing heeled boots while trying to walk downhill on streets that don't have sidewalks. Yes, if any of you guys have been to Tujunga... no sidewalks! Instead of sidewalks, they have humps on the sides of the street to let you know where the sidewalk should begin. Even, Mexico has sidewalks!
Walking made me realize that no one really walks anywhere around here. It might even be a crime to walk at all. People slow down and almost pull over to take a look at you just to make sure you're human. I think I'll be doing more walking to and from the gallery, but not with these boots.

Tip of the Day: Take a walk somewhere close that you normally drive to. I'm not going to tell you to try to hear the birds chirping, because all you're probably going to hear are cars, loud music, dogs barking, and some whistles and kisses. (if you're a girl) Just take a walk and take that time to think. It feels kind of nice when you get over the "people staring at you" part.

"And they discovered something very interesting: when it comes to walking, most of the ant's thinking and decision-making is not in its brain at all. It's distributed. It's in its legs." Kevin Kelly


1 comment: