Friday, February 5, 2010

Uniqueness



“As we grow as unique persons, we learn to respect the uniqueness of others.” Robert H. Schuller

It's a cold and rainy 4th day. Rainy days make people feel a bit more into themselves than usual. More thoughts run through our minds and we usually spend that quiet moment alone. That's why it gets so depressing after a few days of rain. But, fortunately, it'll be sunny by Sunday morning for the Superbowl!
No matter sun or rain, I wake up every morning excited to post something new. It's been the highlight of the past 4 days for me. Before I began this project, I talked about it for a few days, with the people around me, telling them what my idea was and how I planned to do it. I thought about it, talked about it, and even practiced it, enthusiastically. They seemed to understand my point. They agreed it was a good idea and that I should go ahead with it. Until... I actually posted it and began this 365 day project I committed myself to. I was surprised to see their reactions to something I had been talking about for days.
Well, I thought about it a bit, and, I get it now. In order to understand, I need to take myself out of my world and think about it from their world and perspective. We live in our own little bubbles and ideas, and the actual thought of changing out mindset seems impossible. Our bubble includes our experiences, teachings, ideas, thoughts, lifestyle, morals, loves, likes, dislikes, tastes, senses, feelings, and everything else that depicts us most importantly.
If you think about it...he/she is a teacher, he/she is a nurse, he/she is a business man, etc. A business man is not going understand what I, as myself, am trying to do with my ideas and mindset. So.. sometimes, we just need to bump into someone else's bubble to see what they have going on in their world. It's the only way to understand why we're all here doing so many different things, because if we weren't so different, the world and all that it consists of wouldn't exist at all. Personally, I'd rather not understand, sometimes, then, live in a world with nothing but artists in it. I understand now and I plan on bumping into more bubbles in the future.

Tip of the Day: Try to educate yourself about someone else's profession. Be interested in what they do and how they do it. Listen or read about the task and what it takes to be what they are. It's okay to know about how some things (cars, toilets, drywall, etc.) are made. It's not a waste of time. You might need the information one day. You never know!

"Every human being is intended to have a character of his own; to be what no other is, and to do what no other can do." Channing

No comments:

Post a Comment