Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 24: "I do"



I have three hours before the next day's post. I've had time to post today, but I haven't felt like writing til now, so I apologize if you've checked for a new post more than once today.
In the last three weeks, I've had three different people ask me to do their event (wedding/engagement) invitations for them. Two are my cousins and the other a mutual friend, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should turn Modest Fly Art Gallery into Modest Fly Art Invitations. I enjoy doing anything creative, so I'm excited.
Everyone's getting engaged or married these days. My friends, cousins, and acquaintances are either "tying the knot" this year, or they already have.
I was looking at an old high school friend's facebook page, ( who is a daily reader :) "Hello, you know who you are...") and I read: "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?"
As I read this, I thought, wow...clever, and laughed a bit. Then, I started to think about how marriage is usually looked at. It's looked at as a dead end, when it should be looked at as a new beginning; Everyone's got to do it; everyone's expected to do it, but if it's like putting an end one's life, then, why get married at all? I guess it is like a life long sentence, except you get to choose your cell mate. I'd, definitely, rather have a cell mate, than be alone.
Realizing that everyone around me is starting a new beginning, I come to learn how important it is to stay in touch with people in my family. One side of my family used to be close, before my grandfather passed away, almost 20 years ago. I remember spending time with my cousins all the time, back then, but, now, I see them on special occasions and holidays, if at all. The other side of the family is very small, consisting of less than 20 people. We all try to stay in touch, but life happens, all the time.
With one cousin, in particular, getting married this Summer, I realize the importance of family relationships. It's weird how no one can take the place of someone you grew up with. The friends you grow up with become family after a while. You're never as pure and naive in life as you are as a child, so the people that you grew up with are the people who really know your basic foundation.
So, as I get older I figure out where my attention needs to be and what is more important to me.
I think that "I am" might be the shortest sentence in the English language and "I do" (in marriage) is forever, but, having your family around, can make "forever" worth the wait.

Tip of the Day: Think of one person in your family (sister, brother, parents, relatives, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) that deserves your attention and hasn't gotten it in a while. Give that person your time and your attention, just to let them know that you care.

"The great gifts of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might have never even introduced yourself to, had life not done it for you." - Kendall Hailey











No comments:

Post a Comment