Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is Love? Day 9



I've been thinking about "love" a lot lately. It's a really hard subject, I think. It's a personal subject, so different for each person, but, yet, so similar. I've thought about it so much, I'm not sure what to think anymore. I've been thinking about the unordinary things about love. I've been thinking about how love can hurt us, change our mood in a milli second, or make us do things we never thought we were capable of. Most of us have probably experienced it: the pounding in our hearts when we hear a name, or the turning of our stomachs when they're present. It's a terrible feeling to have, but one of the greatest pleasures in life. Without going through the experience of love, life is not experienced.
Yesterday, I watched the movie, My Sister's Keeper, which is about a family having to let their child, who's dying from Leukemia, go. (Watching movies has been my hobby lately. It's what's been giving me my alone time.) So the movie was sad and depressing. It's one to watch if you feel like you need to cry a bit, but it made me realize that love is learning to let go. Parents have to let go of their children, children have to let go of parents, and we all have to learn to let go of each other some time in our lives.
Break ups seem like the end of world to us when they happen, until a bit of time goes by and helps us cope with our situations. We can't wait for that feeling of loss to go away. There's nothing else we can think about or concentrate on. It's the worst thing that could happen at that moment, but time heals it all, magically. It would be much easier if we had a fast forward button to jump over the parts where we cry ourselves to sleep, walk around like zombies, or sit there staring into space while, purely, enjoying it.
I've come to realize that these things we go through is what makes life "life." It's the reason for our being here: to feel, cry, laugh, and make love. They say that, "It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." I say,"love as much as you can in life, and if you have to learn to let go at some point, just wait, it'll pass." So, for today, love is learning to let go.

"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, disparingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing."
- Agatha Christie

Tip of the Day: If you've been holding on to a certain thing in your life, try to let it go. Instead of thinking about and analyzing everything that went wrong, try to think about the good things it brought you. Think of how lucky you are to have experienced this in your life. Now, you have a story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment