Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day (-51 days) 49: Oops...


Today is Day 49... we are back tracking because going back and printing the first 100 days, I realized I had skipped Day 49... I have no idea what happened? If you can find Day 49, please let me know, but I can't find it... this makes me feel like I have to repeat a test I failed in 2nd grade...

Ok, so here it is 2 hours after writing the first paragraph... I didn't know what to write about for Day 49, so I left my browser open and decided to do it later. I've been working on a drawing for the past couple of days, so I continued drawing and thought I should just post when I have something to say...
While drawing, I was thinking about how crucial every line I make is... if one line is a millimeter off, the person ends up not looking like themselves. In that mindset, I was concentrating on each and every mark I was making, when, a guy, about 5', dark skinned, (Hispanic looking), wearing dirty shorts with his t-shirt in his hand, walked in a started speaking Spanish. He came over and shook my hand, and I didn't even listen for his name because I was busy wondering what else he had touched with that hand. So, I told him I know "poquito" Spanish, and, as always, when you say "poquito" they think you're fluent, so he started blabbing away as he started putting his shirt on...
I understood him trying to ask me how much I would charge for a drawing of him and his girlfriend/wife... Then, he said "sin ropa..." which, from what I remember from High School Spanish, means "without clothes." So, right then, I thought "where the hell is my pepper
spray?" He said, "tarjeta" so I gave him a business card, while I tried to smile and be nice... Then, he started dancing around trying to explain to me that he liked to dance with his wife... saying "encantar baila!" I just sat here watching him dance around and thought, "I wonder if it's Marijuana or if he's on hardcore stuff?" So, he kept on talking and walked over, grabbed my hand and kissed the top of my hand, then, bowed to me... Right then, I said, "No, no gracias..." So he started talking in broken English trying to explain to me that he'll bring his girlfriend/wife with him next time, then, pointed at me and said, "ok, bye, gracias!"
So, after he left, I sat here, kind of dazed, watched him leave, and got up to go wash my hand... then... I closed the door.

Tip of the Day: Make contact with someone. Human contact is very important in our lives. My experience is not a good example... You don't have to let a stranger kiss your hand, but make physical contact (tap, handshake, pat, hug, etc.) with another person. Touch is something we tend to not think about, but it makes us feel in life.

"Sometimes the beauty is easy. Sometimes you don't have to try at all. Sometimes you can hear the wind blow in a handshake. Sometimes there's poetry written right on the bathroom wall."
Ani DiFranco

No comments:

Post a Comment