Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 90


Day 90... wow, I've actually come up with 90 tips to give you guys, or, 90 posts that were good enough to keep you here, if you're reading this...

Today, I could talk about attending another artwalk in Orange County... meeting the people there... or about the guy who yelled out to this girl walking by "Hey, just want you to know your ass looks hot in those shorts!" (seriously??) but... instead I'm going to talk about how a stranger approached me today and asked for my advice.

Her name was Jennifer, she walked up to me, after seeing my artwork, and asked me what kind of advice I'd give her, as an art student. I was very pleased to learn about her and how she was attending art school, but she wanted to know more about what I thought... it's funny, I've never thought a stranger might care for my advice. She told me a bit about herself, then, asked me about myself, and, lastly, said, "So, what kind of advice would you give me?" I looked at her surprised at her question and thought to myself, "Shit, why is she asking me for advice, who does she think I am?" but, I got it together and said to her, "Just make sure you're surrounded by people who are at your level, people that will push you to become better... Don't be competitive, appreciate other people's work, but when you're surrounded by people who are as good as you, you become better." She looked at me, with a grin on her face, and said, "That's really good advice, thank you!" I just smiled and thought, "Pheww, I'm glad that's over, and, I actually did okay!" So, she wrote me a nice note in my book thanking me and left...

Also, I received a note I had written to myself last year about what I should've accomplished by now. I attended a business conference and they made us do this to help us see how much we would've accomplished by now... and, I was surprised to see that all but 2 of my goals on the list were done. In the note, I had mentioned the opening of the gallery, getting freelance clients, having shows at the gallery, etc.. One of the unaccompishments was having a lump sum in my bank account at one time, and having gallery hours. (which we all know I'm working on) So... I can say that today, I feel good about what I have accomplished and it's not because of the list, but because Jennifer cared for my advice.
Tip of the Day: Take a look at your accomplishments and have faith in the things you do. You never know, a stranger might ask for your advice one day, so, be ready for it.

"The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice we give others." http://www.thinkexist.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Iren!

    AW! I'm truly touched! Your advice made me ponder for the rest of my ride home. It made me step back and want to pay even more attention to the artists in my life/ at school. You are very lovely and I had a great conversation with you. I hope we keep in touch. :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete