Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 98: Happy Mother's Day!

Today is Mother's Day...
First of all... Happy Mother's Day to the mothers of all my readers and to the ones who are mothers themselves!
I can't imagine what it feels like to be a mom, but I would like you to know that since you have dedicated your life to another person, well, I think that's the kindest and most precious gift you can give anyone. You are selfless and you deserve a Mother's Week or a month...
This weekend with the girls, we were talking about children and I mentioned that I would have a baby right now, if I was married. I said that I was getting married to have kids, and... I was totally honest. I, honestly, can't wait to become a mom. It's the only reason I'd speed up the wedding process, but it's not the right way to go, so, I'm going to have to put my child obsession aside and wait for the right time. Everything happens when it's supposed to, so, right now, it's time for me to thank my grandmas, my momma, and, of course, my second momma (Armen's mom/my mother-in-law) for being as wonderful as they all are.
My grandmothers are both very unique and different in their own ways, but they are wonderful to have around. I have been lucky enough to feel a grandmother's love in my life, so they come first, always.
My mom, well, I notice her becoming more and more like her mom everyday... the bad and the good. Sometimes, I tell her she's acting like her and she says, "Good, who else am I supposed to be like, she's my mom!" So, I know I'm going to be my mom when I grow older... I'm a bit like her now, so, good or bad, my mom is me and I am my mom.
My mother-in-law's name is Anahid... she's a very special woman... Special and unique also, in every way. In Armenian tradition, a daughter-in-law is supposed to call her mother-in-law "mom" or else, it's looked at as disrespectful. Well, I call her by her first name, and not because I want to disrespect her, but I'm close enough to her to let her know that I'm uncomfortable calling her "mom," at least for now... I told her that I'd rather act real with her than call her "mom" and not mean it, so... I promised her that if I ever felt like I was comfortable enough to address her by "mom" then, I would. I don't expect her to call me her daughter, so it's fair both ways, but, I couldn't have asked for a better mother-in-law. She's closer to my real mom than anyone in the world and I believe that being honest with each other is the only way to keep our relationship special and the understanding there.
I was thinking of a special gift I could give my mom and Anahid... I thought the best thing to do is to print out the first 100 posts of my blog and give it to them. That way, they can get to know me better, better than they already do. My mom has read a couple of posts, but she hasn't kept up, and Anahid, well, she has trouble using the internet, so a hard copy would be great for the both of them. I was actually thinking I'd print it all out at the end, in case, anyone wanted a hard copy... I know I do...
So, overall, I have four moms this year... and I am extremely lucky to be loved by these women.

Tip of the Day: Write your mom a letter and tell her things you've never told her before. If you're a girl, it should be easy because, we daughters, find it easy to be annoyed by our moms almost always, so be nice. If you're a guy, just give her some attention, that's all she'll need and want from you... a bit more attention than usual.

The picture at the top is of my mom carrying my sister while she's pregnant with me... it's my favorite picture of her... and the video attached is of my mom and grandma (her mom) cooking together today...

1 comment: