Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 131: I love it... thanks!


I watched "Sex & the City"... I didn't have very high expectations to begin with, but it was a disappointment. "The Karate Kid," last night, was better... it had a bit more heart and morality.
Honestly, I'm all for the fashonable, "take care of yourself," independent woman, but this time... it was unnecessarily flashy and pointless. The best parts were the funniest, but the part that made my jaw drop was when Carrie wasn't happy with a present she received. She said, "Couldn't you have bought me some jewelry or something?" Right then, I thought, "What??? My gosh woman... get a life!" Being a receiver of gifts, from a man, I always try to make sure my face says I like it... even if I don't...
A few years ago, Armen and I were at his grandma's house and his grandma's girlfriend/neighbor was there having a cup of tea. She started a conversation with us and found out we were together, (not engaged yet) and she said something I always try to keep in mind... she said, "Always remember this one thing... no matter what a man buys you... always act like you love it, even if you don't... never, ever be disappointed at anything he buys you... always be grateful and you'll keep him happy." So, I nodded at what she said and smiled, back then, not thinking about how much sense it made... a couple of years passed, and I found out that she had passed away...
Well, she's gone now, but whenever I unwrap anything, I get my face ready for the grateful and enthusiastic look. There have been times that have been hard to smile, but, most of time, it has been really easy... but... no matter what the present, I've tried my best to let him know it was appreciated. If all the presents he ever bought me disappeared tomorrow morning, I'd be happy knowing he tried to make me smile with them. If it has been a car, ring, antique watch, or Milk Duds... they're just materials that make me happy temporarily. At the end, they mean nothing compared to what really makes me happy.

Tip of the Day: Practice your grateful and enthusiastic face for when you receive presents... be appreciative of the fact that you're receiving a gift and don't worry about what the gift actually is.

"Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present." Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment