Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 138: Rice Krispies


I'm home now... just like to say Congratulations to the couple... it was a great night!
Getting ready and leaving the house wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be, but, my parents did get into an argument and I did forget my engagement ring at home... it could have been worse, I think. Before getting ready tonight, I made some Rice Krispie treats, which, if you don't know me, is my specialty. My Rice Krispies are pretty special, if I may say so myself... So, I was cutting some into squares and my grandmother (the one without the large short-term memory capacity) was here, at our house, because she was supposed to go to the wedding with us. As I sliced the flat sheet of Rice Krispies, she asked, (in Armenian) "Who makes that?... How do they make that?... Where do you buy it from?" I answered, "I make it... it's cereal and sugar mixed in together..." She said, "Oh... ok... what is it for?" I answered, "It's for an event I have to go to..." then, she said, "oh, you're going to an event? With your sister? No one's going to be home then because we have a wedding to go to tonight..." and I just nodded my head without bothering to clear up her confusion in letting her know that we're all going to the wedding together... the Rice Krispies were for tomorrow. So... I continued to cut squares and set them up in a platter, as she asked, "How do you make these? What are they made from? Do you buy them like this?" I just took a deep breath and answered, "Yes, I make them... they're cereal and sugar..." then, she asked, "What are they for?" so, I answered, "...for an event I'm going to.." and she replied, "Oh, so you're going to an event too... no one's going to be home... we have a wedding tonight..."I continued to cut squares, as she asked, "What are these made out of? What people come up with? Did you make theses?" so... I just kept up with her for about six rounds, then, when I felt like it was getting out of hand, I said, "Grandma, do you know that you asked me the same question about 68 times in the last 10 minutes?" To my surprise, she answered, "So, I might want to ask you 100 times, it's a free country..." So, ya, you can imagine she's one of the special ones...
As I set up the last of the Rice Krispie squares, I thought about how I might have made her feel by pointing out her annoyance, and, I, kind of, felt bad about it... Luckily, she forgot about what I had told her a minute later and was asking me a whole set of different questions...

Tip of the Day: Be patient with people... don't react to a certain situation, so that you don't have to feel bad about it afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. Serves me right for reading your posts during class. I busted up laughing.

    ReplyDelete