Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 29: Sallie Mae


Hello there! Happy to be here! I've had a busy day, and now, I'm finally home. I sit here at the dining room table with a mug of hot tea, and a Subway chocolate chip cookie sitting on top of my Sallie Mae student loan bill. I hate getting these things in the mail, and it's always from Sallie Mae. Don't they know how much paper they're wasting... it's ridiculous. I thought of making my account paperless, but, then, I won't even remember having to make the payment. So, as I look at the envelope with cookie crumbs all over it, (I imagine crumbling that cookie with one hand and smearing the chocolate chips all over the damn thing) I get a phone call from the car company I owe my monthly payment to. What the heck is going on? They probably found out I had a nice day...
I might sound mad, but I'm not. I just need to take care of my responisbilities and I've been putting it off. I hate dealing with people I owe money to. I know, no body enjoys that, but not today. Today, was a good day. I'm going to take care of it this soon, this week, I promise.
So, I realize I used the word "hate" twice already. I'm going to try to be positive and say that I love the fact that these companies exist at all, in order to lend us the money to be able to go get an education and give us the opportunity to drive ourselves, rather than taking the bus.
This is really funny...but, I just got a call from Sallie Mae asking for Irene. A man's voice said, "is Irene available?" I hesitated and asked, "may I ask who's calling?" He said, "this is Greg from Sallie Mae," then, I replied, "No, she's not home right now, but if you have her cell phone number, you can reach her that way..." (I only said that because I felt bad for the guy and I didn't want to leave him hanging. Oh, and my cell phone is dead because they've already called me so many times today, so it won't matter.) Then, he said, "thanks, I'll do that." Then...10 seconds later...he calls back and asks for me again... ? I think he was thinking I'd change my mind about being Irene. I just laughed and said, "You called the same number again." He just said, "oh..." and hung up.
So, as you can see, I'm a bit frustrated, but, it's all my fault because I've been avoiding them, all of them.

Tip of the Day: Take care of your shit if you've been avoiding it! No one else is going to take care of it for you. Forget about the responsibilty fairy coming along. It's not going to happen. Dedicate your time to your responsibilites and while you're doing them, try to enjoy it and make it fun. You have to do it, so make the best of it. (I try to enjoy my phone conversations with the people over the phone, and, sometimes, even try to get on their nerves for calling me as much as they do)

"Take life into your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing...no one to blame." - Erica Jong
Oh, by the way... I googled "bills" and the picture of the guy at the top was one of the images that came up...I would think he's probably paid off his student debts?

No comments:

Post a Comment