Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 33: Maybe next time

Hi people! Just for your info., yesterday, I posted "tip of half the day" because I thought I'd have time to come back and give you more, but I didn't make it, sorry. To make up for it, today will be better, I promise. But, seriously, please watch out for women drivers, especially in the rain. So, the painting at the top is a recent one I did for a magazine cover competition. I attended an art selling workshop this morning. It was a 6 hour long workshop on how to speak about your art, which I suck at. (I couldn't be worse at something.) We were supposed to take an art piece with us, so this was the piece I had taken with me. It was wrapped in white paper, so no one got to see it when I took it in.
I sat through the first hour of the workshop, and just for your information, I hate public speaking. I got a bit better at it as I grew up, but my heart still pounds as if my life depended on the self introduction I gave to 15 other artists who could, really, care less about what I have to say. So, after the first hour of lecture, we had to introduce ourselves, and I did fine, except, when I said, "that's it!" at the end of my intro, which is the lamest and most unprofessional thing to do. After that, I sat down and decided I wasn't going to talk anymore, but I knew we had some kind of activity coming up later...
For the last two hours of the workshop, we had to stand up in front of everybody and sell our piece to a potential buyer, which I should practice, since I have a gallery of my own. I sat there listening to the first few people, while freaking out about what the heck I was going to say about my piece. As each person went up, I realized that not everybody brought an art piece, and not everybody was presenting, so, I was going to act like I didn't take one in. I knew it was a bad idea because I'm a firm believer of doing things that make you uncomfortable. Purposely, putting yourself in an uncomfortable situation, will, most of the time, have a good outcome. So...I thought "well, Iren, get up, pick up the piece, and start talking, and later, you can blog about it letting everyone know how brave you were today, and that they should also be brave about certain situations they fear." I got so excited thinking about today's post and how good it was going to be, until...the lady leading the workshop said, "ok, well, if that's it, then, we're going to go ahead and move on." Right then, I kicked myself in the ass (in my head because it's physically impossible) and as I was about to get up to speak, she started another subject and moved on...
I bet you're thinking awwww... how sad, right? Well, it kind of was, because I failed today, but at least I know I failed. I am admitting, I failed today, and I am telling you guys about my failure, which is not easy, but I'm being honest. I wish I could say that today I overcame my fear of public speaking and I am great, but I'm human and shit happens!
Here is a quote I heard at the workshop today:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson


Tip of the Day: Confront what makes you feel uncomfortable, even if you fail. Maybe, you'll overcome the second, third, or tenth time around, but be aware of what makes you uncomfortable. Uncomfortable situations can bring about great opportunities, so go ahead and be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous!

I hope I can come back sometime this year to give you a similar experience I didn't fail at, but succeeded in. I'm sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment