Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 43


Today has not been one of my better days. It's been a whole lot of running around and a lot of confusion in my head. It's one of those days that is extremely difficult to brush off the negative thoughts. I've been moody almost all day, and, now, all I can think about is a glass of wine. I dropped by a few stores to exchange some things. I went by Office Depot and a couple of coffee shops to put up some postcards for the show next week, and, honestly, the customer service didn't make my day any better. I was about to smack the girl behind the Office Depot cashier counter with my pack of push pins when she yelled, "Nnnneeexxxtt!" and the lady she was helping was still standing in front of her. I just walked up to her and thought "seriously," but my face probably said the same thing, because she wasn't smiling at me.
I had an exchange, so she took what I was returning and (literally) threw it in the cart behind her... I just looked at her face wondering if I should feel insulted. Then, I thought, well, I would probably feel like that working there too, but that's not an excuse. I served ice cream at Baskin Robbins for 5 years, but I was there because I enjoyed it at that time in my life. That position wasn't something I wanted to tell the world about, but it was my job, and I had to do it right. So, Anet, (that was her name) if you're a reader, (which I doubt) I would just like to say that you made my day worse by your services, and that I think you should probably find something that makes you happier. Maybe, Baskin Robbins, Cold Stone (they sing for tips), or JoAnns Fabrics (they're hiring, but if you're crafty)... but, seriously... have some Nutella!

Tip of the Day: If you have a job that deals with people interaction, make sure you're aware of your attitude. Try to enjoy what you're doing, even if it's not what you want to do right now. Don't spend your time making yourself miserable and, even worse, making other people miserable.

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” Charles R. Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment