Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 70: Goodbye Nutella...






Today, it was the Pasadena Open Market at One Colorado... it happens twice a year on a Sunday and goes from 10am to 5pm where local people show up to buy all kinds of different artwork from local artists.
I had been getting my stationery ready for the past week for it, and, today, I was there at 8am to set it up and present it to the crowd. So, I set it up and got myself a well needed cup of coffee and a chocolate cupcake. It was around 9am, as I sat there trying to get warm from the freezing, cold weather, and convince myself to be nice so early in the morning.
As I sat there, a lady walked up to my table and picked up a couple of bookmarks. She explained that she was an art teacher and that she was going to use the bookmarks for a raffle. The Nutella piece, I had finished a couple of weeks ago, was on a small stand on the left side of the table. I noticed her glancing over at it, a few times. She looked over at it, and asked, "Is that piece for sale? That's an original right? I love that...mixed media..." I looked at her with a slight smile and answered, "yes, it's an original and it's $200," very confidently. She smiled as she pointed her finger at it and said, "I love it, it's on my mind..." I just nodded at her, smiled, and told her to have a nice day.
It being so early in the morning, I was still half asleep, when she decided to come back and stand in front of the table again... I looked at her, smiled, and said, "hello!" like it was her first time there because, of course, I didn't recognize her from a minute ago. She just looked at me, kind of confused, and said, "I'm going to go to the ATM...I'll be right back for this piece. I have to have it!" Of course, I smiled at her and thought, "shit...she's really going to buy it!" I couldn't figure out if I was happy or sad. I looked over at my sister as she looked at me with this retarded, excited smile on her face. She was so excited for me... I just looked at her as my eyebrows lowered and my smile faded. I didn't really want to get rid of it. I had just finished it. I wasn't even sick of it yet. What the hell!! Now, what... $200??? That's it! I worked so hard and she was going to take it home for only $200... but it was a small piece, so it's ok...I guess...
I felt so confused... I even thought about taking it from the display and telling her someone else bought it for more. (which is what my mom had done for some things we had at the yard sale)
So, what did I do? I got my bag and left to go get some more coffee. I went to the cafe nearby and bought coffee for everyone, and when I got back, it was gone...
I looked at the, now, empty stand, and asked my sister, "did you tell her there was actual Nutella mixed in with the chocolate color?" She looked at me surprised and said, "There was? You never told me there was..." I just shrugged my shoulders and replaced it with my "Red Head" piece and told myself to get over it.
Now, I sit here at the dining room table trying to publish today's post, but two minutes ago Armen asked for toasted Cinammon Pop Tarts... yummm.... that gave me an idea. I guess I can get over my Nutella and move on to bigger and better things.
Tip of the Day: Try to be aware of the things you can attach yourself to and let it go when it's time... you'll know when it's time.
"Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure." Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment