Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 73: Meeting an Asshole

So I wrote today's post yesterday because I couldn't wait... here it is:

Today is still Day 72, but I couldn't help myself because I encountered an asshole today, and I had to start writing about it, before I forgot all the details. I had to go to the post office in Glendale to send out a couple of packages...
When I got there, the line was halfway to the door, so, I just stood in line, behind this guy, and tried to keep myself entertained by watching people...

There was a few middle aged women in line, an old couple, a couple of men, and there were 3 employees at their service desks. Two employees were Asian and they are the regulars there that have been there for a while. The one employee in the middle, was a chubby, African American woman, who was fairly new, (I know this because I visit that post office at least once a week) who was wearing a big smile on her face, and chatting with the customers.

So, as I stood there with my box in my hand, watching and trying to be patient, a guy, dressed in worn out, big shorts, an even more worn out, big t-shirt, black Croc sandals, with a few days shave on his face and glasses, (looking Middle Eastern, but not Armenian for sure) and maybe about 100 pounds overweight turned to me and said, "Watch her... she's helped one customer, while the other two have helped three already..." with this disgusted look on his face. Me, not knowing what the hell he was talking about, looked at the three employees, and said, "which one?" He replied, "the one in the middle, the 'black' one." At that point, I just nodded and didn't even look back at him. I didn't even know what to think of his attitude. Then, to make me feel better, he says, "watch, watch..." and a customer the Asian lady was helping walked out after finishing her transaction. I looked at him and said, "maybe, she gets the hard jobs?" He looked back at me and said,"No, I don't think so... she's just lazy..." Ok, now, at that point, I didn't even want to talk to him anymore, so I just stayed quiet and continued to wait...

About five minutes later, the line was moving up a bit, so, I set my box on the table up front and started to tape up the bottom of the box. He turned around again and asked, "What are you sending out?" As my conscience answered, "What the hell is it to you?," I answered, "oh, just some postcards..." with a blank look on my face. Then, he says, "cool, ya, I'm sending out _____ (I don't even remember what he said he was sending out because I was so busy cussing him out in my head), ya, I sold it on Ebay... I'm here almost everyday sending stuff out, and when she helps me out, it takes so much longer than the others...after about 5 minutes, I think to myself, why am I still here? I told my wife she has to start sending this stuff out cuz I can't stand doing it anymore... but, hey, coming here means I'm making money, right..." I just gave him a nod and didn't say anything more. I thought to myself, "Ebay, huh, I can't think of a lazier job, you asshole! You sit in front of your computer with your camera all day... and this is probably the only trip you take out of your lazy house, you fat ass, and you don't even wanna do this? And, what guy wears Crocs anyway, they're the ugliest things I've ever seen..."

As the line moved up, he was first in line and it looked like the "black" lady was about to help him out. He turned to me and said, "You can go ahead of me, cuz I really don't want her to help me." I replied, "You sure?" As I asked this, he just looked over at her, mumbled something, and walked towards her to be helped out, and after about four minutes, his work was done, and he helped himself out of the post office without turning back. (I hope the door didn't hit him on his way out! What an asshole!)

The same lady helped me out, and, to be honest, it did take a bit longer than usual, but that was because she was taking her sweet time getting to know the customers. I've been going to the same post office for about 2 years, at least once a week, and the same Asian women have helped me out every time, and none of them know my name...

He was such a rare human being, I thought I should dedicate today's post to him and embarrass while I'm at it. I have come across rude assholes like that before, but very rarely do I get to humiliate them publicly. Even though you don't know who he is personally, they do exist, and you might come across one of them one day.

Tip of the Day: Don't judge people if you don't know them. It's hard to keep your opinions to yourself sometimes, but, unless necessary, keep them to yourself. I could've called him a lazy asshole, but it wasn't necessary... I'm sure his wife calls him that all the time.


http://thinkexist.com/quotation/never_utter_these_words--i_do_not_know_this/12454.html

1 comment:

  1. What an big jackass. I strongly believe that whatever goes around comes around so I'm sure he will get his.

    ReplyDelete