Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 87: I'll do it later...


Yesterday, in my post, I mentioned procrastination... what we all do...

I was supposed to get something done on the computer yesterday, but I never got to finish it because I was too busy thinking about what else needs to get done, like, the floor needs sweeping, Facebook messages, emails, bathroom breaks, coffee breaks, cheesecake breaks... ya, so, that's what happened. I'm supposed to be doing it now, but, I thought, I should post today's blog...

Some people work better when they have a deadline. I read somewhere that "Great things can happen when there is very little time" and I agree with that. Personally, I can do more in very little time than in a great amount of time, and, most of the time, I have very little time to accomplish things. (Hope you got that) It's the pressure that builds up and pushes us forward. Procrastination, somehow, works with and against us. It's when we procrastinate that leaves us little time, and, that's when great things happen, but... some people can't work last minute. They have to plan, organize, and set things up, and, I commend those people. They spend so much time preparing, and put so much work into something that can be done in less time. (by others)

I remember when I was in 9th grade, and we had this life timeline assignment... one of my friends (the one who got married recently and has worked hard all her life) worked for days on hers: drawing, writing, coloring, etc... I hadn't even started mine the day before it was due... I put something together the night before, turned it in, and got a B! She had gotten a C on hers and I felt so bad that she spent so much time on that stupid thing. The teacher was a weird woman, who always talked about the right/left brain (Ms. Taylor) and from the way she ran the class, I figured out how much of my time to put into her assignments. Then, there was my English class, that I couldn't miss a day of, and tried to put more time into. I guess the difference was that I was okay with mediocre grades if it meant getting sleep...

On the contrary, I slept at 6AM today due to my procrastination yesterday, so, I payed for it... but, my mind is still viable for typing and putting words together, I think.

Now, I'm going go and finish what I need to get done... I hope...

Tip of the Day: I'm not going to tell you to try not to procrastinate because we all end up doing it, but, if you try to enjoy all the tasks you need to do, you'll procrastinate less. When you need to get something done, just enjoy the process... it'll seem less painful.

I looked up procrastination in Wikipedia and it's funny how serious they make it sound: "Procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt and crisis, severe loss of personal productivity, as well as societal disapproval for not meeting responsibilities or commitments. These feelings combined may promote further procrastination. While it is regarded as normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning. Chronic procrastination may be a sign of an underlying psychological disorder." Wow, that sounds terrible...

No comments:

Post a Comment