Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 242: But... those are her favorite colors

I don't know if you've ever had to tell a little "white lie" to keep from being rudely honest or to keep from hurting someone's feelings. If you're human, you probably have.
Well, today, I confess, I lied. Being an artist myself, I understand the determination of one's taste and liking to a certain creation. I have purchased flowers from Florists many times before and being the creative I am, I usually ask for what I want. If I want two colors of roses or two types of flowers put together, I ask for it. Usually, my suggestion gets turned down by the Florist/Artist helping me. They usually say, "Uh, no, those two don't go together... how about if we..." and, usually, I just agree and let them do whatever they feel looks good.
Today, I walked into a flower shop and I asked the lady to make me a rose bouquet. Not a specific rose bouquet, just a regular bouquet, but with the rose colors of my choice. I wanted her to make the bouquet with cream and blush colored roses. I asked her to put those two together and had no other input. As soon as I asked her, she looked at me and said, "Nooooo.... but the bouquet will be soooo paaaale..." with a whiney voice. I looked at her and grinned thinking, "Why can't you just do what I want? Just put those two fu***n colors together... what's the big deal? It's for me, not you!" while my face and mouth said, "Uh, okay sure... whatever you want..." She lingered around for a couple of minutes suggesting some other roses to me, but, then, I realized I didn't want any other color. I wanted what I had asked for. So, I decided to tell a little white lie, I said, "But... but, those are her favorite colors..." sounding like a child wanting a candy bar. Then, to my surprise, she said, "Oh, okay, if it's her favorite colors, then we'll do it!"
I told a little white lie... didn't hurt her feelings... was not rude... and, most importantly, I got my "pale" bouquet.

Tip of the Day: Sometimes, it's okay to lie about some things to keep from hurting someone's feelings.

Minor white lies permeate our daily lives, especially when we feel the need to protect someone else’s feelings. - Mitch Thrower

No comments:

Post a Comment