Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 246: My Prayers Were Answered...

I don't know whether I should describe the scene with the obsessive compulsive guy at the sales counter, today, or another "Alzheimer's" scene...
So... here it goes...
I dropped by grandma's house today... She saw me parking the car and watched as I went up the stairs. She was sporting a new hairstyle so I said, "Wow, look at you... new haircut... and color! You're looking pretty!" She smiled and said, "Ya, I got my hair done the other day..." As I approached her and gave her a hug, she said, "I was just praying... I was praying to God for your mom, or anybody, to come and take me somewhere." I looked at her and laughed her comment off. I walked into the empty little apartment, with the four walls (as she usually calls her home), looked over at the floral designed couches, and sat myself down. She came over and sat down on the couch beside me and said, "I don't remember if you're the one that got married or your cousin...?" I replied, "It was my cousin, grandma... how could you be confused about that?" She automatically mumbled, "I don't remember..." She brought over some watermelon slices and said, "Eat! It's nice and cold!" I looked at the plate of watermelon and said, "Grandma, it's raining and freezing outside..." She replied, "No, it's good... eat it!" So, I picked up the plate and began biting on cold, watery watermelon slices. She looked over at me and said, "You know, I was praying... I was praying to God for someone to come and pick me up, and then, you showed up..." I looked at her and nodded. She asked, "Is your mom home? Did she call you and tell you to come and take me?" I answered, "No, grandma, I was just around the area and decided to come and see you." "Oh, okay, " she said and continued saying, "I'm always alone in this apartment building. No one is ever around... I just sit here in these four walls... but, just now, I was praying... I was praying to GOD..." before she could finish, I said, "Okay, go get you jacket, let's go!"
My grandmother, being the stubborn woman that she is, usually doesn't like to listen to other people's advice so she said "No" to the jacket and got ready to leave with me. After about 5 minutes of arguing with her about how cold it is outside, I dressed her. She was so excited that she was leaving the house to go somewhere. Her prayers were answered...
I stood by the door and waited for her to check on every single light bulb, light switch, sink faucet, and stovetop. She walked over to me, excited, and said, "Which shoes should I wear?" as she pointed to two, the only two she owns, pairs of shoes. I think she might have been feeling important because I had given her my attention while dressing her. I looked down at her shoes and replied, "Something warm... it's raining." She picked a pair, put them on, and we were off... or... not yet...
There is a whole process she runs through every single time she leaves the house. She checks on everything about 3 times before she is sure they're off or locked. I already know this, with years of experience, so I waited outside by the door until she went over her Obsessive Compulsive/Alzheimer Compulsive process.
She finally made it out the door as I watched her lock the front door. She locked it, turned the knob about 3 times, while she tried pushing on the door to make sure it wouldn't budge. Then, she closed the screen to the front door, but... opened it up again to check the doorknob again, and, then, again, one more time. I stood there and watched as she did this while talking to herself. She finally closed the screen for the third time and said, "I have to make sure it's locked or they'll come and take my gold." That moment was priceless...
So, we, finally, headed down the stairs as I pulled the car out, she got in and fastened her seat belt. As I pulled out of the parking lot and was on my way home, she said, "You know, I was praying... I was praying to God that you would come pick me up. Now, you're here. My prayers were answered..."

Tip of the Day: Be kind and patient with people's Obsessive Compulsive/Alzheimer Compulsive/ "Anything" Compulsive processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment