Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 268: Professional with a Personality


Cakes, flowers, and photos... that was my day...
What kind of vision do you have? What color palette are you imagining? What does your dress look like?... were all questions I was asked by the vendors I met with, for the wedding.
I was greeted with smiles and bottled water by one, avoidance by another, who seemed like she didn't want to waste her time with me, and an arrogant big headed one I don't think I'll ever forget. My day was productive...
I met new people, learned more about what I should be doing, but, most importantly, understood the difference between the importance of human modesty and contact when it comes to customer service.
As the day went on and the appointments came up, one by one, it seemed like the customer service was getting worse. I signed a contract with the first vendor and couldn't wait to leave the office of the last. The main difference between the service was not that the first vendor was kissing my ass, (because that's not something I appreciate) but she was "human" with me... she laughed with me, while being professional and to the point; she was open to my ideas, while giving me her experience and insight; and she wanted to get to know me, personally.
The last vendor couldn't stop talking about herself, her work, and how great she was...
So, yes, today, I've come across many different personalities and professionals... and, I've realized that a big part of being a professional has to do with having a personality.

Tip of the Day: People always, or most of the time, respond to what's real... Be aware of your personality and what you put out, even when being professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment